It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:25 pm

1985 SHARK ! :D 
Granny Driver

Post 1985 SHARK ! :D
Hey guys,

New to the forum, just received my first 928, I got it from a guy who left it sitting in his yard for 5 years straight.... I saw it and he asked me if I wanted it for free, of course I'll take it off your hands, well after spending $63 on towing, and a couple of headaches, I finally got her home! So me and my father took the car and over hauled everything, dropped a battery in and nothing happened. we thought it was the spark plugs so we replaced them only to find out that they were the original spark plugs that the car came with, we changed the oil and it was the original oil never changed.... we looked at each other shocked..... same filter same oil the car came with in 1985! so we flushed out the fuel tank and checked the fuel pumps... still nothing! me and my dad were going to give up! then I read somewhere someone sprayed the intake manifold with cleaner and starter fluid we thought why not we already spent over $200 why not spend 6 bucks more.... so I came back home sprayed the cleaner first, cranked the engine and the engine make a HUGE! popping sound and the hood closes......... we come back with starter fluid and crank it up, and it starts! white smoke was coming out of the exhaust and the engine and I had to hold down on the throttle so it wouldn't turn off but eventually i let the throttle go and the rpm need sits in between 1 and 0
we drove her around and she runs like a champ! :driving: next thing we want to do is replace all the relays/fuses but relays are so expensive .... and tune her up, anyone know how must reupholstery will cost?

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:38 am
Webmaster

Post Re: 1985 SHARK ! :D
Dude, welcome to the board. But first thing first. Stop driving it and drop the tank. You need to properly clean it out, otherwise it will gunk up your whole fuel system. Replace the engine compartment fuel hoses, they crack and is the leading cause of fire. Replace the Timing Belt and Water Pump. 32v is Interference engine if that belt breaks, your engine will be toast in a nonsecond. Slow down and do the deferred maintenance before spending money on cosmetics. Trust us we know what we're talking about.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 am
Granny Driver

MPDano wrote:
Dude, welcome to the board. But first thing first. Stop driving it and drop the tank. You need to properly clean it out, otherwise it will gunk up your whole fuel system. Replace the engine compartment fuel hoses, they crack and is the leading cause of fire. Replace the Timing Belt and Water Pump. 32v is Interference engine if that belt breaks, your engine will be toast in a nonsecond. Slow down and do the deferred maintenance before spending money on cosmetics. Trust us we know what we're talking about.

The fuel tank was completely dry empty though, and the timing belt is the next thing i was going to get, the water pump really has to be replaced? the engine compartment fuel hoses are cracking your right about that :mrgreen:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:16 am
Webmaster

Didn't see that part with the tank already being dry. You still may want to verify by running it low on fuel and open the top and remove the tank level sender and look into the tank to see if it looks clean. You can gain access through the trunk. Water Pump is essential if you have no record, since the impeller is probably not plastic but metal and will scrape chunks off your engine block if it decides to go belly up. Plus, it's an easy change while doing a Timing Belt.

Now, the infamous post by me. Please post Pics of your new Ride!!

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:21 am
Granny Driver

Well, Here are some pics!

Well what do you think? :driving:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:42 am
Granny Driver

You sure can't beat FREE!

Be prepared to spend some hard earned money to get it safe and reliable, and yes, replace the water pump! Don't scrimp on parts and buy good ones. You won't find too many Porsche parts at your local parts stores either, so you'll have to go online for a majority of your parts purchases.

Best of luck..

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:42 am
Webmaster

That's one of the first 32V 928's. I like this one, then there's the 86.5 which had all the Brakes and Suspension goodies of the S4 but in the old style body. What did you pay?

Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:24 am
Granny Driver

MPDano wrote:
That's one of the first 32V 928's. I like this one, then there's the 86.5 which had all the Brakes and Suspension goodies of the S4 but in the old style body. What did you pay?

The car was free!

first 32v 928's? care to explain im curious!

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:41 pm
Webmaster

Early 928's were 16 valve until 1984, they went to 32 valve in 1985. Hence "yours."

You absolutely scored!!

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:05 pm
Granny Driver

MPDano wrote:
Early 928's were 16 valve until 1984, they went to 32 valve in 1985. Hence "yours."

You absolutely scored!!

Awesome sauce!

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:07 pm