It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:18 pm

how tight? 
Speed Limit Obeyer

Post how tight?
Ignoring the annoying noise from the flywheel for the moment because i came home from work today to discover a bouncing baby timing belt on my front porch :D so anyway, i've replaced timing belts before however the ones i've done have had spring loaded (non adjustable) tensioners so i was wondering what is the pescribed method for checking the tension is on these things? is it a certain weight applied a a certain point which should result in a certain amount of movement? if so what are these figures? cheers

Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:00 am
Webmaster

Post Re: how tight?
Use a Kempf Tool. Only $59 and it's a must for your Toolbox. Here's a link to get one, plus the instructions on how to use it. Very very easy.

http://928gt.com/ps-35-68-tool-9131--timing-belt-tensioner-tool.aspx

Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:44 am
Speed Limit Obeyer

so got my kempf tool the other day, got the car up on stands and ready to go tonight, mate coming over tomorrow to lend a hand because tomorrow it's timing belt time. wish me luck, i'll let everyone know how i go, with pics :D. can't wait to take my girl for a proper flogging, which i've been kind of scared of for obvious reasons.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:47 am
Speed Limit Obeyer

wow.. so timing belt, that's difficult. started ripping stuff out and before i knew it i had half the engine bay apart and still more stuff was in the way of getting to the sucker. got there in the end though. sorry didn't take any pics my camera died and i had enough on my plate anyway.
anyway found out something interesting, the timing light sensor wire which would flash on when i revved the car too hard :/ was loose. since i checked the belt that was on the car before i took it of with the kempf tool and it was only ever so slightly out of tension, maybe half a mm on the loose side of the slot and actually not in that bad condition. i'm assuming it was the loose wire that was making the light come on. so fixed that, installed my lovely new belt tensioned it properly, ended up having to make a jig to lock the flywheel as the lock i bought, i couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was meant to attach to. haven't had a chance to test it all yet as it got dark and i was planning on changeing the radiator fluid however i think i should have the whole thing done within an hour or so tomorrow so that's good.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:45 am
Webmaster

Excellent! Not too bad of a job, the next one can be done in half the time. What about the Water Pump?

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:51 pm
Speed Limit Obeyer

i must admit i was naughty and didn't do the water pump. i will say though by the looks of it the tb had only done about 20000 km, no excuse i know however once i have a bit more cash perhaps, since i now have the tools/knowhow the belt should only take a couple of hours and only the cost of parts.
btw the car had done 96 000 km and i could see 3 different types of marks on the timing cogs (kind of like rings of bark on a tree :P) which shows the belts certainly been replaced enough.
took her for a spin today and OH MY GOODNESS i've had the car for nearly a year and never had it over 4000 rpm for longer than half a second because i was scared of the belt snapping. when you get that thing ticking on the redline it's scary!! but so much fun given myself a whole new reason to love my baby.

next problem.
my oil pressure gauge wasn't working when i started the car it would jump up to 5 bar and slowly after driving around for about 50 km (multiple starts and stops seemed to help) it would drop down a bit to abou 4 at idle. so when i got the kempf tool i bought a new pressure sensor and whilst i had the car off the ground i changed it over. started it up and it did exactly the same thing (should point out i pulled the other thingy attached to the sensor and cleaned it very well). thinking i had the wires reversed, turned it off jumped under switched them over and started it again. this time the warning light was blinking for low oil pressure so that's obviousl not right. changed them back over. and took it for a spin after about the same 50 kilometers it had dropped except this time to what i would deem normal just under 2 bar at idle in gear and just over 2bar at idle in neutral. but when it got cold it went strait back to 5 bar :evil: has anyone else had this problem?
thanks

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:11 pm