It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:08 pm

Headlight issues 
Granny Driver

Post Re: Headlight issues
So I started to chase the headlight unicorn again. I just read through Kurt's email about cleaning the alternator and I will look at that next. It was just replaced not too long ago but you never know. All of the ground points have been cleaned. There was local guy parting out an 1980 928 (same color too) and I bought his relay and headlight motor off him for like $20 and I will try substituting out some parts to see if mine are defective. My thought it’s something in the electrical (genius right). The reason why is that when I bought the car the previous owner had several used parts from 928 intl, like sunroof transmission and relay for the headlights (just to name a few) that were sent with the car. He also replaced the 14 pin connector and thus my thought he was chasing the same things I am currently. I noticed that there is a ground point on the pass side cam cover, is that correct?

All that to say I am open for suggestions!

Oh I did take apart the pod and cleaned the printed circuit board.

81 Porsche 928
95.5 S6 Wagon
00 S4
72 Audi 100 LS

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:47 am
Webmaster

Yes, it's under the Smog Tube and Diverter Valve. It's kind of a pain to get to, but it is the ground for all the passenger side fuel injectors. Ask me how I know this :lol:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:55 am
Granny Driver

Tonight was a triumphant night. I was not planning on working the Porsche tonight but I decided I had an hour to poke around. I was looking at the wiring for the headlights and I started to follow it to the firewall, like I have a hundred times. But I noticed a section of wires right above the hood open indicator that were electrical taped. So I pulled it apart and notcied the colors of wires looked similar to the headlight wires. They were sliced and just twisted together with shrink tape. I thought it odd that they did not use any connection device. Well it was the issue, a couple loose wires and now we are good to go. Three relays, two headlight motors later and a thoroughly cleaned headlight switch and we are in business.
So stoked :D

81 Porsche 928
95.5 S6 Wagon
00 S4
72 Audi 100 LS

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:57 pm
Webmaster

So awesome! It's like we need a magnifying glass sometimes. I also found a short whenever I would use my windshield wipers, it would blow a fuse. Ended up being a wire smashed when my AC guy was removing my Expansion Valve. Congrats!

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:06 pm