It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Engine problems- startup 
Granny Driver

Post Engine problems- startup
Hello fellow shark lovers

I have a rather interesting problem to share. So one day i am cruising along listening to my local rock station (97.1 the river all the way), when suddenly Hudson (my 1981 porsche 928, only rowers will understand the name) stops running. Luckily i was on a hill so i was able to drift into a residential street out of harm's way. So i am pulled over..... freaking out because my baby is hurt.... And i try to start her back up and the engine starts to turn over but does not turn on. I try a couple more times (bad for my poor little start i know) And finally hudson Turns on, but she turns on only with my foot pushing the gas all the way down. When she turned on despite the pedal being on the floor hudson will not rev up, staying under 1000 rpm the whole time. Then as i take my foot away from the gas she dies. So i had to get the guy with the big mean tow truck to tow me home 30 miles..... I did some research and found that the car sometimes has Intake manifold gasket leaks, and to try spraying starter fluid on the manifold along with in the intake behind the filter etc. In doing this i believe i can cross off Fuel pump and gaskets seeing as neither works. I also tried replacing the battery and even providing a little juice from another car via jumping cables. I am at a lose here and need your guys' expert opinions on my next course of action.

Tl/DR
Car: 1981 stock 928
Problem: if starts won't rev past 1000 RPM
Tried: spraying starter fluid in intake and on spider components, Tried jumping with battery from My 86 944 turbo and dad's Suv jumping at 4000 RPM
Observations: jumping helped slightly but the car will not even turn over all the way and start to the previously stated problem

Reward: 10 internets and a Beer

Thank you, Pavle Zivojinovic

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:18 pm
Webmaster

Post Re: Engine problems- startup
Have you gone thru all your ground points and made sure they are nice and clean? How about your 14 Pin connector next to your front battery post (engine compart)? Gone thru your CE Panel and cleaned up all the Relay and fuse connectors?

To me, sounds like a bad connection or ground somewhere.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:09 pm
Granny Driver

After posting on rennlist, we worked through the problem and it turns out the timing belt slipped and the cam gears got misaligned. For the first time ever i am glad i got the weaker 16v engine over the 32v, because my car would be utterly destroyed.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:05 pm
Webmaster

Yikes, so many variables on troubleshooting. Glad you sorted it out and yes the 16v's are great when TB issues come along.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:32 am