It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:14 pm

timing belt 
Speed Limit Obeyer

Post timing belt
So it's been 2000km since i changed the tb, and i thought it was high time to check the tension again. compared to changing the Ba#@&d this was pretty easy really, only a couple of things needed to come off and i managed to get away without draining the coolant or even jacking the car.
anyway the tension was still perfect and i was wondering if this is normal i would have thought that it would have stretched slightly in the time since i put it in.
anyway i'm pretty happy with it atm so i think barring any serious problems "touch wood" i think i'll leave it for the next time i change the coolant in about 20,000km

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:04 am
Webmaster

Post Re: timing belt
Tension should any change on it's TB break in, I think around 2K? After that, they shouldn't stretch at all. They just start rubber deterioration after time goes by. Great job on doing this without even jacking the car or even ramps.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:50 am
Speed Limit Obeyer

Post Re: timing belt
yeah well it hadn't changed from when i replaced it, and it was almost exactly 2k (that's km not miles). yeah all i had to take off was the RH dizzy cap, the RH ignition coil, The RH timing belt cover,the fan shroud and the bash plate.
then i managed to fit a socket extension through the fan blades and could turn the engine over with a breaker bar between the fan and the radiator. i did have a mate there making sure the fan didn't turn as i did this. took a fair bit of effort to get through the rotations needed but was worth it to avoid jacking :P

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:55 pm