It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:23 pm

Damp, mould and fogged windows 
Granny Driver

Post Damp, mould and fogged windows
Howdy,

FINALLY got my 928s going again. Story for another thread. The winter took it's toll on the interior, I have never seen a car get so wet. I have mould everywhere, all the carpet/soft furnishings are wet. So I drove it to work today - about 20miles, sunroof open - happy chap. Parked it up - went inside for 20mins or so, came back out and every pane of glass was completely fogged up. Is this normal for a 30 year old car? do I need to replace all rubber seals? or is there just some vents/drainage chutes that might be clogged up? Looked like there had been a spectacular orgy going on.

Dec

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:42 am
Webmaster

Post Re: Damp, mould and fogged windows
Ha ha, spectactular orgy.

Fogged up windows normal if the car is full of water. Source of leaks are plenty. Sunroof, leaves in vent area under hood near windshield. Leaky Heater Core. First thing is to remove all your floor carpet. Get a wet/dry vac and get most of the water out. Air dry. Mine took a few weeks to totally dry out.

FYI, leaks also leak from above CE Panel. You need to make sure this part get's dried out ASAP.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:29 am
Granny Driver

Thanks as always Dano, reckon it'll be a while before we get enough dry weather over here in Paddyland to dry anything - let alone a 928. It's going in to be de-moulded tomorrow, so at least it doesn't smell like a hobo's bed. I might have to find an electronic doohickey to help me out.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:06 pm
Webmaster

Were you running the heater this morning when you drove to work? This would explain the foggy windows when you came back to the car. Post up some pics!

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:18 pm
Granny Driver

Just a wee follow up on my damp mould issue - I have been running some little de-humidifyiers (re-chargeable silica crystal boxes) for a few weeks now and combined with the less insane weather, El Porkio seems to be drying out. That Leak you were mentioning above the CE panel Leo is horrendous - wherever it originates, it leaks down onto a wad of insulation which acts like a slow release sponge, then the glovebox is perfectly shaped to re-direct all the leaking right down onto the fuse panel (CE panel) ... I'll take a pic tomorrow, as I have my glove box out at the moment. Some of the 928 design makes so much sense it's amazing, but then other little bits make you want to cry.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:09 am