It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Can I polish out this wheel 
Granny Driver

Post Re: Can I polish out this wheel
Hi All,

Ok. I am starting to strip and polishing my stock wheels. The only chemical I found to remove the anodized coating is Sodium Hydroxide. I use this chemical to make cleaning products for my business. I have a liquid form which is 50%. It does ok but not good enough. I used it 100% and it melts away the anodized coating. Its very dangerous to work with but it does the job. Just need latex gloves and cant splash it around because it will cause chemical burns to skin, clothing and if it gets in your eyes, then you are done. Here is a picture of wheel 2 that was done on Yesterday. Take care.

Joe Flash man

Attachments:
porsche 928 016666666666666.gif
porsche 928 016666666666666.gif [ 270.87 KB | Viewed 2064 times ]
Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:49 pm
Webmaster

Nice and shiny! Now get your wheel shop to put those weights on the inside of the rim.

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:08 pm
Granny Driver

yeah thats exactly what I need to do. I have the same wheels and no matter how much i clean them they look like crap.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:52 pm
Granny Driver

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would share. Look up B17 stripper. I bought a 55 gallon drum for my powder coating business. You can get it in 5 gallon buckets as well. The thing with this stuff is it is very very caustic. 10x more so than regular paint stripper.

What you need is the stripper and an extra tub with fresh water and add a couple boxes of baking soda(same stuff you use in your fridge). This acts as a neutralizer for the acid. Submerge the wheel in the B17 or heavily brush it on and let it sit. This stuff is very tempeture dependent on the time you leave it in. 8 to 10 mins if it is 80 plus degrees, or 15 to 20 if itis below 60.

After taking it out of the stripper, submerge it in the water fot the same amount of time you had it in the stripper. For the love of God.... Make sure you are wearing thick rubber gloves while doing this process.

Regular paint will just sheet off as you hose the rims off. If it is baked on enamel as in factory finish rims, you may have to do this twice. Once to remove the paint and once for the primer.

This is the stuff all powder coating companies use, because there isn't any of the scraping with a putty knife like aircraft stripper and other chemicals.

If you need any more info just hit me up, always glad to help.

Ramon

Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:41 am
Webmaster

I was wondering how my Powdercoater removed all the Factory Paint off my Phone Dials. It wouldn't budge with Aircraft Remover.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:01 pm